Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Building big....

This next series was an idea that I had this summer that one end of the furniture design spectrum was working in this almost painfully constained manner-using the least amount of materials in order atone for the past excesses. And now I would like to look a series of pieces that are on the opposite end of the spectrum. Many upholstered pieces that are huge and use very, very much material! This sofa you could live in, is by architect India Mahdavi (one of my top three favorite designers). I do not think that the form or scale of the pieces are so telling-i.e- big furniture=fat cat.... I think that the material of fabric is still very cheap and work can afford to be excessive where lights, tables, titanium chairs are very dear and must be made accordingly. This furniture is telling the story of economics.

No comments: