Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Making new messages


I was captivated by last weeks Design Sponge debate on the Civil War post. Mostly because the war has been my source material for awhile and secondly I do think that every design decision is a political one. In the debate someone mentioned the Harlem Toile designed by designer
Sheila Bridges. This work is great work and brings me too my most famous story on why design is political. One of my first "favorite" clients loved toile...but her job and politics did not love toile-at the time (pre-toile boom) all the patterns were vaguely hinting at Harriett Beecher type narratives and the other were hunting scenes-the client being a public defender and an animal rights activists was appalled....all choices are political. Ms. Bridges has solved a problem beautifully.

No comments: